Mizuno Golf has invented a nifty little device called the Shaft Optimizer that it uses in its Performance Fitting System.
On January 23, 2013, GolfConversations.com got to see the Shaft Optimizer up close and personal in Orlando at the PGA Merchandise Show’s Demo Day.
Mizuno’s Bill Price described how the Shaft Optimizer reveals the five components of a golfer’s “Swing DNA”:
- Club Head Speed: How fast the club head and shaft are moving during your swing.
- Tempo: How quickly you transition from your backswing to your downswing.
- Shaft Toe Down: Measures how far the shaft bends in a downward direction during your downswing.
- Shaft Kick Angle: Measures how far the shaft bends forward during your downswing.
- Release Factor: How and when the club head and shaft are released during the downswing.
- In the following video, Bill explains how the Shaft Optimizer works and its role in Mizuno’s Performance Fitting System:
With an understanding of the Shaft Optimizer’s technology firmly under my faux-alligator belt, it was time for me to “swing into action” and put the Shaft Optimizer through its paces.
Bill had me warm up with several practice swings using a 6-iron. Then I made three “for-real” swings. After each swing, Bill examined the results displayed on the Shaft Optimizer’s LED screen and did a fine job of containing his laughter.
Also on hand to witness my “ball striking” was Dr. Gary Wiren, Master PGA Professional, teacher, speaker, inventor, collector, Renaissance Man, and all-around good guy. Gary, who’s close to 77 years young, can still boom it 300 yards. Amazingly, Il Dottore achieves his incredible length without the application of deer antler spray.
WARNING: The following video contains graphic images of Robert Blumenthal swinging a golf club. Viewer discretion is advised.
As Bill mentions at the end of the above video, Mizuno’s fitting process also includes determining the proper length, lie angle, and grip for the golfer. Then the clubs are custom built at Mizuno’s headquarters in Georgia in approximately two days … and shipped to the customer who is eagerly awaiting their arrival.
Mizuno’s web site provides comprehensive information about their golf division. And the following video describes their Performance Fitting System in its entirety: